on arrival and in resort - sustainable tourism/Travel Foundation
As a responsible Tour Operator, we recognise the vital role that the holiday industry has to play in sustaining the environment and local culture, not only for today's visitors but also for generations to come. The aim is to ensure development is a positive experience for local people, Tour Operators and you, our customers.
Monarch Holidays actively support the Sustainable Travel self-audit and monitoring programme “Travelife” (www.its4travel.com), a sustainable standard system backed by ABTA, FTO and the EU. For more information visit our website and www.travelifecollection.com. Look for the Travelife logos on individual accommodation descriptions indicating that the accommodation has met the sustainable tourism standards.
Travelife Bronze accommodation has policies in place which actively reduce their environmental impacts and treat people in a fair and respectful way.
Travelife Silver accommodation also seeks ways to actively benefit the local community and environment.
Travelife Gold accommodation displays advanced sustainability actions. They encourage others to be involved, seek continual improvements and actively communicate the progress.
Monarch Holidays are members of the Sustainable Tourism Committee of ABTA/FTO and, through them, work with a UK charity, The Travel Foundation (www.thetravelfoundation.org.uk). When you book your holiday you can opt to make a small donation.
We work with these organisations to support sustainable tourism projects around the world and together we can make a positive difference to the environment and its inhabitants by:
- Encouraging best practice in tourism.
- Creating new excursions including conservation projects enabling visitors to support the local economy.
- Helping to protect local unique culture and traditions enabling the inhabitants and their families to benefit from tourism.
- Recognising that local resources are finite and helping communities support these resources.
- Helping to protect endangered wildlife and preserving the natural and cultural heritage of the places we go to.
We would also encourage, you, our customers, to support us with our aims. Some of the ways you can help are:
- Make a Voluntary Donation to the Travel Foundation when you book.
- Keep your packaging down to a minimum and avoid disposable goods - you may not find anywhere to throw them away.
- Buy local souvenirs and gifts - it helps to support the local economy.
- Respect the local wildlife and take care not to touch or remove coral, wildflowers, wildlife or exotic shells.
- Many countries do not have adequate recycling or waste reduction schemes; so the less litter / waste you create, the better.
- Save water and energy: shower rather than bathe, re-use towels, turn off the air conditioning and lights when you leave the room.
- You can take positive action to reduce your carbon footprint and offset carbon emissions by visiting www.ReduceMyFootprint.travel which has been created by the travel industry to mitigate the effects of travel on climate change.
If you have any feedback about sustainable tourism issues on your holiday, please let us know. We are constantly striving to improve performance and your comments are an integral part of our efforts to ensure that we act on any issues responsibly.