2008 News Archive - Holidays - Britons driving to Italy 'should check car insurance'

20 02 2008

British holidaymakers travelling to Italy and elsewhere in Europe should endeavour to check their car insurance cover before travelling, it has been reported.

According to the AA, anyone with UK car insurance will automatically be covered third party when driving in Europe, but they may not necessarily be covered comprehensively.

The comment comes as the RAC Foundation notes that three million UK drivers travel to the continent by means of ferry and the channel tunnel annually.

"If you're thinking of taking a car into the continent, you do need to check with your insurer, if you do have an accident when you travel abroad [and you have comprehensive cover], you'll find that … you've got the expense of getting your car removed and so on," commented Ian Crowder, public relations manager for the AA.

The news comes after the AA reminded holidaymakers that it is "always" a good ides to take out travel insurance when going abroad.

A spokesperson noted that the European Health Insurance Card - which used to be the E111 - offers reciprocal healthcare treatment between the NHS and EU countries.

Previous Page
I'm looking for...
Flight dates

You've selected: Thu 11 Feb 2016

You've selected: Thu 18 Feb 2016