Although any holiday to Portugal will be wonderful, the Algarve region in the south of the country really does stand out as a top-class destination. Its mild Mediterranean climate and sunny weather makes it attractive to anyone keen to escape the gloomy British weather, while stunning beaches, outstanding sports facilities (particularly for golf), interesting historical sites and well equipped resorts only add to its appeal.
Book a flight to Faro from London and you can be in the Algarve in just under 2.5 hours, with the airport centrally located, making it easy to travel on to any of the Algarve's excellent resorts once you land. So, whether you're looking for a relaxing family holiday by the beach, an active getaway with your friends or a romantic break with your partner, Portugal's Algarve will have something suitable for you.
Top resorts in the Algarve
The Algarve's coastline is peppered with charming villages, bustling harbours and fantastic resorts, all of which have their own appeal. We've picked out a selection of the top Algarve resorts for you to consider.
• Albufeira - This town has it all - beautiful beaches, historical sites and excellent sports facilities, not to mention wonderful restaurants and chic bars. In terms of the beaches, there are several stretches of golden sand here not to be missed; including Praia do Tunel ou Peneco, Praia da Oura and Praia de Santa Eulalia. Albufeira's medieval quarter harks back to more traditional times, with its whitewashed houses and narrow streets. There are numerous churches in Albufeira that are worth exploring if you're interested in the region's past.
• Vilamoura - If you want an active holiday, Vilamoura is the place to come. It boasts golf courses, tennis courts, shooting and fishing facilities, cycle ways, water sports centres and one of the biggest marinas in Europe, just to give you an idea. The area around the marina is home to high-end restaurants and bars - perfect for couples seeking a romantic evening together.
• Gale - This is a smaller village just 10 km from Albufeira, offering a quieter holiday destination without being too far from the action. Praia de Gale is a long stretch of golden sand where you can relax in the sun and swim in the sea. This is also a good spot to try windsurfing. In Gale itself you'll find a good selection of restaurants and bars, although if you're after something livelier it's best to travel to Albufeira.
• Carvoeiro - This is a favourite among families, with the closest beach (Praia do Carvoeiro) a lovely sheltered bay that's great for swimming. The town itself has a reasonably compact centre, so you'll have everything you need within easy reach. There are several water sports centres based here offering everything from pedaloes to scuba diving, while you'll find excellent walking trails along the cliff tops. Carvoeiro also boasts an outstanding golf course (Quinta do Gramacho).
Active Algarve: things to do
Portugal's Algarve is the perfect choice for active breaks, with the pleasant year-round weather meaning you can get out and about no matter when you book your flights. Here are some of the top pursuits to try:
• Golf - The Algarve is considered to be one of the world's top golfing destinations, with professionals regularly teeing off on some of its more challenging courses. You'll be within easy reach of a green from many of the region's resorts, although Vilamoura really stands out as it's home to five 18-hole courses, including the Oceanico Old Course.
• Surfing - Many of the Algarve's beaches are ideal for surfing, particularly along its western coast where the biggest swells roll in. Beginners may be more comfortable learning the basics on the gentler waves found along the southern coast.
• Hiking - There are some wonderful walking routes in the Algarve's inland areas, particularly on the slopes of the Caldeirao Mountains and in the Monchique Forest. Another way to discover the varied landscapes in this part of Portugal is to go horseback riding.
Hotels & Villas
If you’re looking at holiday villas in the Algarve, you probably know already that this region of Portugal offers some wonderful holiday accommodation. In th... Read More
Although any holiday to Portugal will be wonderful, the Algarve region in the south of the country really does stand out as a top-class destination. It... Read More
Algarve holiday resorts
|Albufeira Holidays||43 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Vilamoura Holidays||18 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Gale Holidays||10 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Alvor Holidays||8 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Carvoeiro Holidays||7 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Praia Da Rocha Holidays||7 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Lagos Holidays||6 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Monte Gordo Holidays||6 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Olhos d'Agua Holidays||4 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Armacao de Pera Holidays||4 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Quarteira Holidays||4 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Praia da Luz Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Praia do Vau Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Boliqueme Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Tavira Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Almancil Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Porches Holidays||2 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Praia da Falesia Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Olhao Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Montechoro Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Guia Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Arao Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Benfarras Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Ferragudo Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Altura Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|
|Sao Rafael Holidays||1 Hotels, Villas + Apartments|